Recipes Discovered

Finding good food one recipe at a time.

Elderberry Cobbler

Elderberry Cobbler Recipe

While walking with my mom, I noticed a lot of tiny berries along the road by their house. My mom told me they were elderberElderberry Cobblerries, which happen to be my Uncle George’s favorite pie, although my aunt doesn’t make it very often. I don’t think I heard of elderberries before, at least not that I can remember. After some research, I found that elderberries are very popular for making wine and jam. More interest, the berries are actually mildly poisonous if eaten raw. My curiosity got the best of me, so I had my mom pick a bagful of elderberries.
I wasn’t sure I wanted to make pie, even though it’s an easy recipe to find. After a lot of searching, I found an elderberry cobbler recipe that I thought would highlight the berries. >> The first challenge of this recipe was to have one cup of elderberries. With most berries, that would be simple, but those who have seen elderberries know why it’s difficult. Elderberries are tiny – about the size of an apple seed. Picking the berries off the stems is really difficult as well because the stems are very delicate and tend to break off. Elderberry CobblerThe berries also stain anything they touch, including my hands. I definitely understand why my aunt doesn’t make elderberry pie very often. After 45 minutes, I finally had a cup of elderberries. I cooked them with water, sugar, and corn starch (instead of the clear gel) for about 10 minutes until the sauce was thickened. Then I poured the mixture into an 8×8 baking dish that I had melted a stick of butter in. For the topping, I mixed together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, and then added milk and vanilla to moisten. I dropped spoonfuls of the flour mixture on top of the berry mixture, and then baked in a 350 degree oven. The dish was really full, so I put a cookie sheet on the rack under the cobbler, which turned out to be an excellent idea. The cobbler cooked over a lot! After about 30 minutes, the topping was browned and the filling was bubbly, so I removed it from the oven and let it cool for about 15 minutes. To serve, I dished the cobbler into a dish and topped it with vanilla ice cream.
Elderberry Cobbler After all the work I put into this dish, I was really disappointed with the way it turned out. The filling of the cobbler was very runny. It would have made a great sauce for ice cream or pancakes, but it didn’t make a nice cobbler filling. The topping of the cobbler was unbearably sweet and overpowered the taste of the elderberries. Plus, it made a huge mess. I froze the extra elderberries, so hopefully I can revamp the recipe and try again.

8 comments

8 Comments so far

1. Enid Munk July 31st, 2008 10:17 am

This is too much information, list the ingredients and the instructions, then tell the story. I’m going to to a Bisquick receipe.

2. Alex August 4th, 2008 11:50 am

At the beginning of the post there is a link to the recipe, which is just the ingredients and instructions.

3. Eleanor September 11th, 2008 10:06 am

I just want the recipe!!! I know where to find elderberries or I wouldn’t be asking for a recipe

4. Phyllis July 30th, 2009 2:23 pm

freeze them first;
    Elderberry pie was a favorite of mine as a child. I now have them growing in my back yard. The easy way to get them off the stem, put them on a cookie sheet and pop them in the freezer until they are hard then use a fork to strip the berries off. No blue hands or mess that way.

5. Phyllis July 30th, 2009 2:26 pm

Put the berries stems and all on a cookie sheet;pop them in the freezer til hard. Use a fork to strip them off the stems. NO blue fingers or spills.

6. eve serge August 8th, 2009 6:10 pm

Where is the Recipe?? I am just trying to make a yummy elderberry dessert:(

7. Jeanne September 26th, 2011 2:49 pm

I froze mine and they were fairly easy to get off by lightly crunching the frozen berries as I held the stem. I have more freezing now and will try stripping with a fork this time.

I found several recipes on the web and used one. Pretty good though topping soaked up a lot of the juice so it was a tad dry. That was remedied by pouring a little warm cinnamon milk over each serving. It was heavenly!

I’m going to make more of the berry filling and jar it for future use. I am also going to make syrup for ice cream and pancakes. What I can’t prepare now I will leave in the freezer until I have some additional time.

8. eleanor July 16th, 2012 7:19 pm

I found it to be delightful, to read about your elderberry experience. I have two bushes that I planted in my yard. The mockingbirds and other birds love them.
    Many people do not realize, that every recipe has a story behind it. I loved to read about your story,